Friday, March 6, 2009

Week 8 - Awesome

Things are back on track. I'm up to date 12 or 13 depending on who's counting, and I've got three set up for next week. As long as the remainder are two hours long, and two out of the three end in kisses, I'm done. I already have phone numbers for two of them, so that's basically covered too. And a week ahead of schedule. Yay!

This week's status:

DATE 12, WEDNESDAY, MARCH 4
8:00PM - 1:15AM
TOAD HALL/LUCKY STRIKE
OK CUPID CONNECTION

Yes, this was a five-plus hour date. This date spanned over two calendar days. This date was, in fact, awesome. I don't use that word a lot (although for some reason, its been coming up a lot in conversation lately, and its not exactly a time for awesomeness - its cold, the economy is crumbling, and things don't look like they're going to get better any time soon). Other dates have been nice and relatively enjoyable, and I'd consider going out with for a second date, but this one - I'm actually excited about seeing this guy again. Most of the other dates have felt like I've been checking off things on a to-do list.

Its like when I used to go out to shows a lot, and I'd be enjoying the opening band that I'd never heard before, thinking, "These guys are alright, maybe I'll pick up their CD". Then the headliner comes out and I'm reminded why I came out that evening in the first place. Because. They're. Awesome. There's that word again.

We both work in SoHo, so we decided to meet at Toad Hall for drinks, its about half-way between our offices. I had wanted to play some pool, which he had admitted he was no good at, but the table was full, and there were a lot of people waiting. I got to the bar first, grabbed two stools, and he showed up a couple of minutes later. We recognize either right away, and the first things I notice is he's tall (an inordinate amount of men on this site are short), and wow, he's got a lot of tattoos. At least two sleeves from what I can see.

We start talking, he admits to being a software architect, but knowing that I'm a real architect, he starts explaining it, comparing web concept designers to interior designers and the implementers to contractors - in a way trying to justify applying the term 'architect' to what he does, someone who needs to give definition to ideas so that they can get 'built'. I'm not convinced, but that's my own issue, mostly revolving around the extrodinary amount of time and money that went into being able to legally call myself an architect. Do these software architects have their very own stamp? I think not.

After giving him a hard time about this, we discuss other things. Art, architecture, politics, books...he's pretty passionate about a lot of these topics, as am I. Not many non-architects read Rem Koolhaas (not to mention know who he is), but he really got a lot out of S,M,L, XL, and has been able to apply it to his own work (again, with the architecture). We've had a couple of drinks by this time, and the bartender bought us both one, so he suggests dinner. Lovely. We go to Lucky Strike.

We both order steak, and he orders a dark and stormy. mmm, one of my favorites. We get chocolate mousse cake for dessert. Steak, rum, and chocolate. What more could I ask for? We close the place down - they actually have to tell us they're closing since we were oblivious to the fact we were the only ones there other than the staff.

I think most importantly, we have very similar sensibilities and a sense of balance between the different areas of our lives. We both have pretty serious professional jobs, but its also important to take time to do the things that we really enjoy, which also happen to be very different than what we each do for a living. For him its scooters and motorcycles - he's got a collection of vintage scooters, and he told me a story about trading a car for a 60's era Lambretta. Also, the tattoos. He's pretty serious about those. For me, sailing.

He contacted me the next day, saying he had a great time, and would like to see me again. Oh, yeah.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, ooh, maybe he can turn you on to tattoos... I think this is a GREAT plan.

    Glad you had a swing and a hit, there, lady. It is always nice when you lose track of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've already got one Zeke, one of which I got in Thailand with a bamboo needle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea. Very cool. Too bad about the teatime that wasn't...

    ReplyDelete